Thursday, April 2, 2015

Analyzing online language (Jones & Hafner, Activity 5.1)

There is a pretty solid hierarchy of formality in digital interactions.  What passes for acceptable language between close friends in a private chat may not pass the standards of an email between work colleagues.  I see a general trend of text messages at the most casual end of the spectrum, with emails at the most formal end.  Text messages are typically between close acquaintances, and are often one-on-one.  Since they take place on each participant’s phones, they are also very private.  This makes texts a common medium for abbreviations, creative spelling, and emoticons.  The assumed closeness of text participants makes them most likely to understand each other’s idiosyncratic digital speech patterns.

I would place instant messaging right next to texts in formality.  These have all the same constraints as texts, except that they can also take place on desktop computers.  This makes instant messages slightly less private.  They’re probably used more commonly than texts as a way for work colleagues to communicate.  Facebook wall posts are tricky to place.  They can include a lot of short forms that most readers may not understand, but I think the larger audience (all of a Facebook user’s Friends) enforces a standard of formality.  Facebook posts are not private conversations, but they are between social relations and are relatively short-form.

At the far end of formality are emails.  Emails could be between close friends who would understand abbreviations and emoticons, but there are better forms of communication to convey that language.  I generally understand emails to be reserved for long-form communication, regardless of the audience.  Emails can convey complicated information, so they assume a stricter standard than more-constrained forms like texts and instant messages.  In this sense, it is the potential media richness of an email that dictates its language.

Below is a snippet of text conversation between myself and a friend, where I’ve highlighted the abbreviations, non-standard spellings, and emoticons.

Me: Whatcha up to tonight?

Them: Makin pizza dough right now but I wanna hang fo sho! You??

Heading to [a bar] for [a friend]’s roommate’s going away party.

Sounds like fun

Were in the basement if you wanna join.

You sure??
I won’t be imposing?

Of course not.

Kk ill be there in a few :D

Most of the non-standard spellings are just contractions (e.g. “whatcha” for “what are you”), while “fo sho” is a slang form of “for sure.”  Being followed by an exclamation point, it imparts not just informality, but an excitement and jauntiness that “for sure” may not convey.  I’ve never quite figured out a consistent logic behind double question marks, but I take them to mean a slightly more pleading question.  In this conversation, they may mean that if I were listening to my friend, their voice would rise slightly higher or be drawn out a little longer when asking those questions.  The emoticon at the end of the last text frames the message in a context of happy excitement, as opposed to a simple statement of intent to be somewhere in a few minutes.


Dissecting a conversation like this reminds me how I take for granted my ability to read this person’s intents in what are only a few dozen text characters.  I may misunderstand the same language coming from someone else, or my friend may communicate in a completely different way in an email.  The intended meanings arise out of nothing but the digital context and the relationship between the participants.

5 comments:

  1. You're example is a great one for just every day conversation. Even though I don't know the people having the conversation I can understand it which goes to show that even though it may not follow all grammar rules, it can still translate to someone who hasn't spoken spoken to the person texting before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting you noticed the double question mark and that it might have some significant difference between a single question mark. I agree, it's probably used to put some kind of emphasis on the question, but I wonder how many people do this consciously. I think writing text is no different than speaking; some people pick up traits that are maybe stylish or in some way appealing and so they adopt those mannerisms. It could be a word or an entire way of talking. Some people might be making the conscious decision, others may have just picked up the style and include it in the way they communicate. Because your friend uses a single question mark in other sentence, it seems like they are doing it purposefully in order to show interest and excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like that you notice the double question mark. I think that I often use it consciously when I do actually use it. And to express outrage or surprise I sometimes extend these two question marks to many more. I also think that in your example the two question marks might express a seriously meant question but that also at the same time indicates a kind of pleasant anticipation or excitement. So I agree with Joshua in this point.
    And funnily I think that the emoticon at the end of the conversation expresses more laughter than excitement. But I have had more Americans use this emoticon in the sense you described, so maybe it is a cultural difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to be the rate of response is correlated to how formal a message is constructed when sent online. With texts and IM services, it is easier to leave misspellings or use more casual acronyms because you are expecting a quick and timely response, and any confusion can be cleared up as quickly as it came. When it comes to Emails and Facebook posts, which are often un-editable and are meant to be seen or responded to in future, one should make sure their sentences are concise and less vulnerable to misinterpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who uses three question marks for every question. This always makes it seem to me that she can't make simple decisions. We're trying to decide where to eat, for example, and she says, "I don't care. How about you???" It drives me batty but it is part of how she likes to communicate her thinking. I think she is conveying that she really doesn't care where and that she'd accept wherever I wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete